I have done a MAJOR cut down on plastic. Throughout the day I realized just how much plastic I use and how there are alternatives to reduce that. Honestly, it was quite easy for me. I am currently still learning, but I think I got a great start on how to begin with going plastic-free and zero waste. I thought I’d share!
- No more plastic food storage! I threw out the old plastic Tupperware and all the plastic we used for food and replaced it all with mason jars and glass Pyrex of all sizes! I utilized the mason jars in more ways than one. I used for snack storage, flower vases, and meal prepping, and even made things like salads or little meals in them (also good for portion control!).
- Use stainless steel straws instead of continual purchasing of plastic ones. You can buy them anywhere online and they usually come with a brush for cleaning!
- Try and find any reusable, returnable and zero-waste brands! I found a great brand for hair and skin, now there are no more big plastic shampoo bottles in my shower to throw out every few months.
- Reusable razor. We used to get packs and packs of disposables, now I just use one!
- Use glass storage for daily-use DIYs! I love to make my own stuff such as lotion, toothpaste, mouthwash, cleaning product, etc. I ordered a bunch of glass bottles and jars to store and refill when needed!
- Get your own reusable shopping bags!
- BYO coffee, tea, water, etc. I still struggle with this! I have reusable mugs for hot beverages, the problem for me is water. I have a weird thing with water and constantly just drink from plastic water bottles. I am trying to kick this habit!
Like I said, I am just starting off with this whole less plastic usage thing. There are so many other ways to cut down on plastic that I plan on incorporating in my life as much as I could. These are just some switches I found easy to start off with and encourage others to try if they can!